I'm bummed I missed out on this recipe for National Talk Like a Pirate Day [which is on September 19, in case you were wondering]. I suppose there's no better time than the present to make up for a missed holiday :) Avast, me hearties! Its time for some Pirate Stew!
I think I need to stop before I get myself in trouble.
Taken from Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook: Feasting with your Slow Cooker
Cooks: low for 6 hours
Makes: 4-6 Servings
- 1/2 of an onion, sliced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 cup uncooked rice
- 3 large potatoes, diced [still raw]
- 2 sticks of celery, diced
- 15 oz. can kidney beans, drained
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Brown ground beef with onions in skillet. Drain.
- Layer ingredients in your crock pot in this order - beef and onions, rice, potatoes, celery, and kidney beans.
- Mix together tomato sauce with spices and water. Pour over the stew in crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or until potatoes and rice are cooked.
For added flavor, top your Pirate Stew with sour cream and/or shredded cheese.
*I'd like to note that this stew reheats really well. You know how some meals just aren't that great the second time around? Not the case with this one!
Hope you have a great weekend planned ahead! Ours? The hubby is filming his first of two midterm projects at our house. I'm emotionally preparing for the mess of cameras and lights and college boys that will be parading through. Wish me luck!